As a business owner, you understand the importance of hiring locally and selecting the right drivers for your transportation needs. Whether it’s for delivering goods or transporting people, hiring drivers with the relevant skills and qualifications can make all the difference in the success of your business.
In this article, we will explore the different codes of drivers for hire in Durban and countrywide, including Code 8, Code 10, and Code 14. Below we guide you on how to choose the right code of driver for your business.
The Different Licence Codes of Drivers for Hire
The official South African licence system has used letters to differentiate between different types of driver’s licence codes since 1998. Let’s look at the most relevant types of licences for businesses seeking drivers for hire.
Code B Driver’s Licences
Code B (or Code 8) is the most common driver’s licence in South Africa, allowing you to operate any vehicle lighter than 3 500 Kg (except motorcycles and agricultural vehicles). A Code B driver’s licence also authorises the driver to operate tractor and mobile machinery vehicles. There are four types of Code B driver’s licences:
- Code B(a) – light motor vehicles with a small trailer.
- Code B(b) – special service vehicles such as ambulances and garbage trucks.
- Code B(5) – tractors
- Code B(7) – mobile machinery such as construction equipment, forklifts, and earth-moving machines.
Code C Driver’s Licences
Code C driver’s licences in South Africa are for heavy motor vehicles with a GVM of 16 000 kg or more. To obtain a Code C driving licence, a driver must first hold a full, valid Code B driving licence. The three categories under Code C driver’s licences include:
- Code C1 (old Code 10 licence) – heavy motor vehicles such as minibuses and buses.
- Code C1 “4” – an extra endorsement on the Code C1 licence that allows driving heavy motor vehicles weighing more than 16 000 kg.
- Code C – motor vehicles, buses, or goods vehicles with a GVM exceeding 16 000 kg.
More specialised license codes
Other special licences businesses may also require staff to operate articulated vehicles and tow heavy trailers. These are the two types of special licences:
- Code EB – is for an articulated light motor vehicle (light motor vehicle drawing a trailer) with a gross combination mass (GCM) not exceeding 3500 kg.
- Code EC1(a) – is for heavy articulated vehicles.
Knowing the different types of driver’s licences and the type of vehicle that you can operate under each licence code is crucial for businesses to find the right code of driver for hire
Code 8 Drivers for Hire
Code 8 (or Code B) is the most common driver’s license in South Africa, allowing you to operate any vehicle lighter than 3,500 Kg (except motorcycles and agricultural vehicles). A Code 8 driver’s license also authorises the driver to operate tractor and mobile machinery vehicles. Here are some critical points to consider when hiring a Code 8 driver in Durban:
- Experience: Look for candidates with previous driving experience, particularly in a similar role or industry. This can help ensure that they have the necessary skills to handle the specific requirements of your business.
- Clean driving record: A clean driving record is essential when hiring a driver, regardless of the license code. It is important to check a candidate’s driving record to ensure they have a good track record of safe and responsible driving.
- Good communication skills: A Code 8 driver may need to interact with customers or clients, so good communication skills are essential. Look for candidates who are friendly, professional, and can communicate clearly.
Use cases and benefits of hiring Code 8 drivers for businesses:
- Cost-effectiveness: They are often less expensive to hire than those with higher license codes, making them a cost-effective option for businesses with a limited budget.
- Usability: Beyond light vehicles, They can operate a wide range of vehicles, including mobile machinery such as construction equipment, forklifts, and earth-moving machines.
- Local knowledge: They typically understand local roads and traffic patterns well, making them an ideal choice for businesses requiring city transportation.
Code 10 Drivers for Hire
Code 10 (or Code C1) driver’s licenses in South Africa allow you to operate heavy motor vehicles such as minibuses and buses. Here are some critical points to consider when hiring a Code 10 driver in Durban:
- Vehicle maintenance knowledge: As Code 10 drivers can operate larger vehicles, it is essential to ensure they understand vehicle maintenance and repair well.
- Defensive driving skills: Code 10 drivers may encounter challenging driving conditions, such as heavy traffic or adverse weather conditions. Look for candidates with strong defensive driving skills who can anticipate and respond to potential hazards on the road.
- Customer service skills: Code 10 drivers may need to interact with customers or clients, so good communication and customer service skills are essential.
Use cases and benefits of hiring Code 10 drivers for businesses:
- Longer hauls: They are suitable for long-haul journeys, intercity transportation, and moving large quantities of goods.
- Versatility: They can operate a wide range of vehicles, from small trucks to minibuses, making them a versatile choice for businesses with different transportation needs.
- Greater payload capacity: They are able to operate larger vehicles and transport more goods and people than Code 8 drivers.
Code 14 Drivers for Hire
Ensuring that a Code 14 driver for your business possesses the required skills and qualifications is paramount. Some factors to consider in the hiring process are:
- Advanced driving skills: Code 14 drivers operate the heaviest and most complex vehicles on the road, making looking for candidates with advanced driving skills essential. They should be able to handle large and heavy vehicles and operate them safely and efficiently, even in challenging driving conditions.
- Safety record: As Code 14 drivers operate the largest and heaviest vehicles, hiring professionals with an excellent safety record is essential. They should have a clean driving record and a track record of safe and responsible driving.
- Good spatial awareness: Code 14 drivers need to have excellent spatial awareness and be able to judge distances accurately, particularly when reversing or manoeuvring large vehicles in tight spaces.
Use cases and benefits of hiring professionals with a Code 14 license:
- Delivering large quantities of goods countrywide: Code 14 drivers are licensed to operate the heaviest vehicles on the road, such as heavy trucks and articulated vehicles. This makes them an ideal choice for businesses transporting large quantities of goods nationwide. They are equipped to handle the long distances and challenging road conditions of long-haul driving.
- Transporting goods for import and export: Durban is a major port city with a thriving import and export industry. Code 14 drivers can be crucial in transporting goods to and from the port, helping businesses meet their logistics needs and maintain a smooth supply chain.
- Efficiency and cost-effectiveness: With their ability to operate larger vehicles, Code 14 drivers can transport more goods in a single trip, reducing the number of trips required and saving time and money. This makes them a cost-effective and efficient choice for businesses transporting large cargo loads.
Partnering with a Staffing Agency
If you’re a business owner looking to hire a code of driver that matches your specific needs, working with a staffing agency can be a game-changer. A staffing agency can help you source, screen, hire, train, and onboard the most skilled driving professionals for your business needs. Here’s how:
- Source the best candidates: Staffing agencies have access to a large pool of potential candidates for driver positions, including those with specific skills and experience. They can help you find candidates with the necessary qualifications, such as Code 14 driver licenses, and even help you source professionals with expertise in transporting hazardous materials.
- Screen and assess candidates: Screening and assessing candidates is a crucial step in the hiring process. Staffing agencies can assist you with this process, ensuring the candidates meet your specific criteria, including their driving history, license verification, and criminal background checks.
- Provide driver training: After you’ve found the right candidate, the next step is to provide the necessary training for the job. Staffing agencies can help you train them on specific tasks such as operating certain vehicles, handling hazardous materials, and adhering to safety regulations.
- Onboard the driver: Once the driver has been trained and hired, they must go through an effective onboarding process to ensure they are up to speed with your company’s policies and procedures. Staffing agencies can help you with the onboarding process, ensuring that the driver understands your expectations and can seamlessly integrate into your team.
By working with a staffing agency, you can simplify the hiring process, save time, and find the right code of driver for your business needs. The agency can help you navigate the different types of drivers available and recommend the best ones based on your business requirements and budget.
Taking the wheel
In conclusion, selecting the most qualified staff for your team is crucial for ensuring the safe and efficient transportation of goods and people. Remember to consider the type of vehicle required, assess your transportation needs, and analyse your budget and resources when deciding. Choosing the best driving professionals for your business’s specific needs ensures that your transportation operations run smoothly and efficiently.
Partnering with a staffing agency to source drivers for hire can be an excellent option for businesses, as they can access a pool of qualified candidates and save you time and resources. The MASA Specialist Driver Division is Africa’s foremost supplier of driving professionals across the spectrum.
We have a vast pool of experienced staff ready to be mobilised, including Code 8, Code 10, Code 14, Forklift, and Reach Truck Drivers. Contact us today to find the right drivers for hire in Durban and nationwide.